Summer is officially over! Kids are back in school and the weather is finally beckoning us to hang out outside. Really, we’re not a huge outside family but give us go-karts, an outside concert or a cookout with friends and we’re there!
Whether your family loves to be outside or likes to hang around the house, we’ve put together a list of 11 things you can do as a family when the leaves are golden and the weather is perfect! So let’s get FALLing!
- Have a scavenger hunt! Choose a theme…it can be fall related – leaves, flowers or just a theme that works for your family. A year ago, we had a movie scavenger hunt. Everyone chose three things from their favorite movie and we had to locate those items. The only rules were that the items had to be found outdoors and we couldn’t purchase them! My son and I worked as a team against my husband and our nephew! It was so much fun.
- Go camping in the backyard! Set up a tent, roast hot dogs and make smores! Tell spooky stories and sing corny songs! And as an added benefit, you’ll have the bathroom just steps away!
- Play Pokemon Go! I know, I know…a lot of people have a distain for this popular video game. But it’s unique in that it combines the video gaming your kids love with actually being outside and walking! Download the app, grab the kids and walk the neighborhood or go to the local park. See how many unique Pokemon you can spot. If your kids are too young to have their own phones, work in teams. You’ll be surprised at how much fun this can be.
- Get to know your neighbors. Bake cookies, muffins or brownies and deliver them in person! If you haven’t met your neighbors, this is a great way to introduce yourself. If you already know them, it’s a good way to reconnect. You’ll be amazed at the positive reception you’ll receive from most of the people you meet. This is a great way to begin to create an active, friendly neighborhood!
- Throw an outdoor, just because party! Usually we throw a party when there’s an occasion…a birthday, graduation or holiday. The parties we have just because are usually the parties we enjoy the most. Send invites, prepare easy food and drinks and have fun!
- Go to the movies – in your backyard! Invite some friends or just hang with the family, hang a sheet in the backyard and project a family friendly movie. Serve popcorn, candy and apple cider! Use folding chairs or if weather permits, lay quilts and blankets on the ground and lounge while you enjoy the movie. If you don’t have a projector, borrow one from a friend. If you plan to have movie viewings on a regular basis, you can invest in a projector for as little as $299!
- Attend the state fair. When is the last time you’ve been to the state fair? As a child, we looked forward to the fair every fall…as an adult, I’ve only been about three times. But each time, we had a blast. Entertainment, rides and great food that appeal to adults and children of all ages in one place…you can’t go wrong!
- Go through a corn maze. Most cities have farms that set up a corn maze in the fall – just google to find one in your area. Grab a bottle of water, get your phone and get ready to get lost!
- Have a chili cookoff! People like chili and everyone has their own special recipe. Get your neighborhood, school, friends or church involved. Have three people judge by doing blind taste tests. Make sure to have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ribbons on hand. Winners have bragging rights!
- Tailgate! Tailgating is for everyone, even if you’re not a sports fan. You don’t even have to go to the game…. set up a portable television in your driveway, invite your neighbors, have food and a few drinks. Now root for your home team!
- Enter a race or walkathon as a family! Pick a cause near and dear to your heart. You can choose to just pay the entry fee which supports the cause or make a bigger impact by getting friends and family to contribute to your cause. Have fun and make a difference at the same time!
There’s tons more ways you can enjoy the fall weather with your family…this is just a few to get you started. So get going and make your own fall family fun!
I’ve link this post to the Fall Family Fun Link Party at A Fresh Squeezed Life! Be sure to hop on over and see all the great ideas for fall family fun you can do on a budget!